The Debunk Awards is offering $6000 in support for finalists and winners.
The Debunk Awards is designed to recognise the impactful fact-checking work being done in Africa in order to empower ordinary citizens to hold disseminators of harmful mis/dis-info accountable.
Winners will therefore receive more than just cash grants. They will also receive the recognition and support that being identified as key players in the fact-checking space brings, including having their submitted work/fact-checks showcased on the Debunk Awards website and other PesaCheck and Code for Africa media channels such as Facebook, Twitter and Linked-In.
THE BASICS :
Winners will receive cash grants of between $500 and $1,000, depending on the applied category and potential impact of the fact-check.
With help from a committee of experienced fact-checkers that will ensure each submitted debunk meets a set of industry standard fact-checking processes and criteria, an independent Debunk Awards jury will evaluate all finalist submissions, and will award cash prizes in the following categories:
- Best debunk from active citizen
- Best debunk that tackled online hate-speech/intolerance/militancy
- Best debunk that tackled government correction/clarification
- Best debunk that tackled issues of major public interest/clarification
- Best debunk that tackled troll distort or subversion of public discourse
- Best debunk that tackled Health, Climate and Environmental-related misinfo/disinfo